Glens are the largest community within the City of Ottawa boundaries being largely private serviced. Most households rely on well water and septic system.


To learn more about septic issues read: septic-FAQs2septic-FAQs2    

Frequently Asked Questions about Septic Systems

Septic Distances

Septic System Records Search:Ottawa Septic System Office has septic records from 1977 to the present for the City of Ottawa.

Contact: http://www.rvca.ca/osso/application_process/request_for_septic_records.html or call 613-692-3571 or 1-800-267-3504 ext. 1129.

Contact: Ottawa Septic System Office at: http://www.rvca.ca/osso/

1127 Mill Street Manotick, Ontario, K4M 1A5

Phone: (613) 692-0160 or 1-800-459-5975 Fax: (613) 692-1507

For records for septic systems installed before 1977 contact the Environment and Health Protection Branch at 613-580-6744 ext. 23806.

More info about alternative suystems at: http://www.rvca.ca/news/septicsmart/Septic_Smart_2_ENGLISH_2011.pdf


Having a well has its advantage! Many recent studies are pointing out the generally better quality of groundwater than surface water (lakes, rivers, streams) owing to the soil’s natural filtering capacity. Cost and flexibility are the two biggest things. You can do what you want to with your water.  A well usually costs about 60% of what city water costs in the long run. Well water can taste much better. You’re also not being charged monthly water bills. City water costs a little every month. City water contains beneficial chemicals or horrible contaminants depending on your point of view; it’s safe, dependable but may not

taste great.

To learn more about your well read: Well Aware

Contact Rideau Valley Conservation Authority PO Box 599, 3889 Rideau Valley Drive, Manotick, Ontario K4M 1A5;  http://www.rvca.ca/ phone:  613-692-3571, 1-800-267-3504; e-mail: postmaster@rvca.ca  

Get a well record The Ontario government has well record data from 1899 to present. You can go to the on-line interactive well record map or  request a copy of the original well record  through the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change. Wells Help Desk Environmental Monitoring and Reporting Branch Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change 125 Resources Road Toronto ON M9P 3V6 1-888-396-WELL (9355)




 Zoning Regulationshttp://maps.ottawa.ca/geoottawa/

  • Glens zoning is governed by the so-called frontage By-law (R1E exc. 1722) that requires a minimum 30 m lot width.  It includes lands on the eastern side of Merivale Road, the residential area generally bounded by MacFarlane to the north, the rear yards of lots on Pineglen Crescent and Silverwood Road to the south and Prince of Wales to the east; and to the west side of Merivale Road, the residential area generally bounded by Burbank to the north, the rear yards of lots along Pineglen Crescent, Grenfell Crescent, and Gervin to the south, and the O1-zoned lands and Pratt Street to the west.
  • The Comprehensive Zoning By-Law defines maximum lot coverage of 15% for privately serviced lots and 25% for lost connected to a piped municipal water supply.